ten things to know before visiting an onsen
- Take off your shoes at the entrance, put them in the shoe locker and take the key with you.
- Remove your clothes, put them in the locker or basket provided.
- Take a small towel, soap, shampoo & conditioner with you.
- Wash your body in the washing area (area with small stools, hot and cold taps and showers).
- Make sure your body is clean and free of soap before getting in the bath.
- You can use the towel to cover your privates but leave the towel on the edge of the bath, don’t take it into the bath with you.
- Please be respectful of other bathers, don’t make a lot of noise or bother other people.
- After your bath, wipe yourself down with a towel before re entering the changing area.
We welcome people of all orientations but please refrain from public displays of affection with your partner while using our facilities and don’t stare at or try to pick up other people in the onsen. If you do not respect these rules we will ask you to leave.
If you get a new tattoo you should wait for 1 month for the tattoo to heal before going to an onsen or pool. If you are only in Japan for a short time, it is best to get tattoos after visiting an onsen or pool.